I’ve made these Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins for years and they are fabulous. I loosely adapted this recipe from a cookbook called Bay Leaves. They are rich with butter, brown sugar, pecans, and chocolate chips. If you aren’t a fan of chocolate and/or pecans, they are amazing without them as well.
My son loved bananas, but if they were on the counter he wouldn’t eat them because he knew they would eventually turn into these muffins. ♥️
I found these pretty tulip baking cups on Amazon, and thought they would be perfect to use for muffins. If you’d like to try them, you can find them here. They are grease-proof and easily peel off the muffins. They offer a variety of colors and I plan to get more of them! It’s an easy way to add a fun, special touch. Regular cupcake liners are fine to use if you’d prefer, though. If you use regular cupcake liners, you might not want to fill them as full as I did these.
Place the liners in a muffin tin and carefully scoop the muffin batter into each one. I used a large scoop like this one. This particular scoop holds 1-5/8 oz. Try to avoid getting any batter on the tops of the liners as you fill them. If this should happen, wipe it off with a damp paper towel before baking.
I love to top the batter with demerara sugar (front left) or brown sugar (front right). They both add a nice crunch to the top of the muffin. You could even use them together!
After baking, the demerara sugar adds a slightly crunchy, shiny effect, and the brown sugar is more coarse.
A recipe yields about 18 muffins. They freeze well, so are great to make ahead. Sometimes I will bake a few, and refrigerate the batter for a couple of days. Then you can have freshly baked muffins anytime.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- 1 large cookie scoop (optional – I used a 1-5/8 oz size)
- 18 tulip muffin liners or cupcake liners
- 8 oz (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 medium bananas, mashed
- 1/2-1 cup semi sweet morsels (I always prefer Ghirardelli)
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- demerara or brown sugar for sprinkling on top
- With a stand or hand mixer, beat butter and brown sugar until creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- With the mixer on low, add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, alternating with the sour cream.
- Stir in bananas, pecans, and chocolate morsels.
- Place cupcake liners or tulip cups in a muffin tin.
- Carefully scoop batter into each liner.
- Generously top each muffin with brown or demerara sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes, or until light golden brown.