The title for this post, Lime in the Coconut Loaf Cake, pays homage to Harry Nilsson because whenever I bake it, his song runs over and over in my head. So if you know the song or followed my link and listened to it, I guess it will run through your head now. Over and over. You are welcome.
This cake is amazing. It has the zing of lime and the slight crunch of coconut. I just love it. I adapted the recipe from Two Peas and Their Pod.
The ingredients include limes, of course, grated coconut, coconut oil, and coconut milk. Plus the important basics: flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, eggs, and vanilla.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
Combine the sugar and lime zest in a small bowl.
Use your fingers to blend them together.
In a medium bowl combine coconut oil, coconut milk, eggs, lime juice, and vanilla.
Add to the dry ingredients and then add coconut. Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Cool in pan for 15 minutes.
Loosen sides with a knife and cool completely on a rack.
Place parchment paper under the cooling rack and pour glaze over the cake.
Sprinkle with lime zest. Serve on a bright green plate, if desired.
This cake just tastes happy. It is truly sublime. Yes, I said that.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- Zest from 2 limes
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Juice from 2 limes
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup frozen coconut, thawed
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- Juice and zest from 1 lime
- Lime zest for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Zest and juice the limes, reserving the juice.
- In a small bowl, combine the zest with the sugar. Add to the flour mixture.
- In a medium bowl, combine coconut oil, coconut milk, eggs, lime juice, and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients, then add coconut.
- Pour batter into a greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Loosen the sides with a knife and carefully remove from pan. Cool completely.
- Whisk confectioners sugar and lime juice together and pour over cake. Sprinkle with lime zest..