This lovely Vegetable Ribbon Salad is easy to prepare and is perfect for dinner guests. The featured vegetables in this version are zucchini and yellow squash, but you could use other vegetables as well, such as carrots or cucumbers.
To slice the squash thinly, I used a mandoline, a wonderful tool that is available in a broad price range. Mine was not expensive and works very well. You can find them in specialty kitchen shops, such as Williams Sonoma and also on Amazon. The blades are VERY sharp, so always use the guard to protect your fingers. If you don’t have a mandoline, you could thinly slice the squash with a sharp knife.
One or two of each kind of squash should make enough ribbon for 4 salads.
Bunch the squash ribbons up until you have nice loops. Add fresh basil, matchstick carrots, sliced Kalamata olives, and crumbled feta cheese. Drizzle with your favorite homemade or store vinaigrette dressing. I used Oak Hill Dressing, which is locally made, but can be purchased here.
And there you have it. A beautifully composed salad that took you only minutes to prepare. Surely no one will complain about having to eat their vegetables.
Vegetable Ribbon Salad with Feta Cheese
- 2 medium-large yellow squash
- 2 medium-large zucchini
- matchstick carrots
- fresh basil leaves finely sliced
- Kalamata olives sliced
- Feta cheese crumbled
- Vinaigrette dressing of your choice
- Slice zucchini and yellow squash into long, thin ribbons with a mandoline or sharp knife.
- Bunch into loops on each salad plate.
- Sprinkle with carrots, basil, olives, and feta cheese.
- Drizzle with the vinaigrette dressing