I love an old standard with a zing of something unexpected. These Strawberry Oatmeal Cookies are just that. They are really so good! Chewy and buttery with a generous hint of strawberry.
I found these freeze-dried strawberries at Trader Joe’s, but most supermarkets have them as well.
I’d never used freeze-dried strawberries in anything before. I ate one by itself and it tasted like a tart piece of strawberry styrofoam. They do make a very meaningful contribution to this cookie, however.
You have to finely chop them.
Combine all of the dry ingredients and set aside.
Beat the softened butter and sugars together until creamy. Add egg and mix on low until blended. Add vanilla. Gradually add the flour mixture until combined and then fold in the chopped strawberries.
Scoop dough into balls and place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. I used my small black scoop, which is the equivalent of 2 tablespoons. I talk about my scoops (dishers) in my Seriously Chocolate Cookie post here. Bake at 350° for about 8 minutes, or until light golden brown.
Such a perfect little cookie.
I’m so happy to add another cookie recipe to my list of favorites. I hope you will, too!
- 1½ cups old fashioned oats
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup (1.2 oz package) freeze-dried strawberries, finely chopped
- Heat oven to 350° Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer on medium, beat butter and sugars until creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Add egg and mix on low until incorporated. Add vanilla.
- Gradually add flour mixture and mix just until blended.
- Fold in chopped strawberries.
- Scoop out balls of dough with a small scoop onto parchment paper. Press down slightly.
- Bake until light golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.