I love using my slow cooker, especially on chilly days like today. The inspiration for this Slow Cooked Sweet and Sour Bean Soup came from the winter issue of the Taste of Home Slow Cooker magazine. I made a few changes and my recipe reflects them.
I decided to add ground turkey to the recipe and I browned it beforehand. I chose my favorite beans, but you can substitute them with yours. Don’t be put off by the number of ingredients. It is so easy, and once you’ve put it all in your slow cooker, you’re done!
We absolutely loved this soup and I hope you will, too.
Looking for more slow cooker recipes? Try Slow Cooked Moroccan Chicken Stew
- 1 lb ground turkey, browned and crumbled
- 2 -3 ribs celery, chopped
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 can chicken broth
- ½ cup Italian dressing (I used balsamic vinaigrette)
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 can butter beans, drained
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans, drained
- 1 can corn, drained
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on low for 5 hours.
- Remove bay leaves.
- I recommend serving this with crusty white or Naan bread.