Slow Cooked Ham and Potato Chowder is one of my all time favorite slow cooker recipes. It is easy to put together and is creamy and cheesy. It’s great comfort food, especially during the fall and winter.
The ingredients are very simple.. I like either cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup, but this time I used both. I don’t use any seasonings, but thyme and black pepper would probably be good if you wanted to spice it up a bit.
I scrub the potatoes really well and always leave them unpeeled. I love potato skins, and they are full of fiber, B vitamins, iron, and potassium. Plus they add a nice texture.
I always buy a center cut ham slice and chop it into small cubes.
I like to use sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese. Cabot Extra Sharp is particularly good.
Place potatoes, ham and cheese in the slow cooker. Whisk soups and milk together and pour on top. Cook on low for about 6 hours, or high for about 4 hours. Stir at intervals to blend the ingredients and add more milk if needed.
Take just a few minutes to put it together and you will have this waiting for you for supper in a few hours.
This is really good served with Easy No Knead Homemade Bread.
Slow Cooked Ham and Potato Chowder
- Slow Cooker
- 1 slice center cut ham, chopped into cubes
- 6 medium red potatoes, chopped
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cans cream of chicken or mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk
- Layer potatoes, ham, and cheese in slow cooker.
- Whisk milk and soups together. Pour on top.
- Cook for 6 hours on low or 4 hours on high, stirring at intervals to blend ingredients.
- Add more milk to thin if needed.