This Shrimp Bacon Queso Soup is my adaptation of a recipe I found in an issue of Better Homes and Gardens Soups and Stews magazine. It has a creamy, bisque-like base that is warm with spices. It is a really hearty and delicious soup.
It would also be fabulous made with shredded chicken, and I’m definitely going to try that next time.
This recipe is really easy, so I didn’t think step by step photos would be needed.
I served it with crackers, but a crusty bread would also be good.
I hope you will try it!
Another good soup to try is Slow Cooked Ham and Potato Chowder.
Shrimp Bacon Queso Soup
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3/4 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined (or 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped and seeded
- 1 pkg taco seasoning mix
- 1 can dark red kidney beans
- 1- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1- 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup Colby Jack cheese, shredded
- 6-8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- smoked paprika for garnish
- In a medium saucepan heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add shrimp, salt, and pepper, and cook until shrimp are pink, 2-3 minutes.
- Remove shrimp from pan and set aside.
- Add onion and jalapeño and saute until tender (add additional oil if needed).
- Stir in taco seasoning, drained kidney beans, chicken broth, and tomato sauce.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the Colby Jack and softened cream cheese.
- Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Whisk until cheeses are smooth. Stir in shrimp and bacon.
- Top with additional cheese and jalapeño, and sprinkle with smoked paprika, if desired.