This recipe is one of my favorites because it is easy to put together, can be done ahead, and is fabulous. I have made it many times and it is a family favorite. I adapted it from 5 Dinners 1 Hour. My alterations included adding carrot, changing the spicy mustard to yellow mustard, doubling the balsamic vinegar, and adding fresh rosemary. I also chose to serve it over orzo, though it would be good over rice as well.
The prep includes a few minutes of chopping and a small amount of measuring. You could add more vegetables if you’d like. I always have a bag of matchstick carrots because I use them a lot and it’s convenient. Any brand of sausage is fine, but my personal favorite is Conecuh. It’s made here in Alabama, but can be found in many other states as well. Click here for a store locator if you want to try it. I like to support local businesses whenever I can, and it’s especially easy to do when their product is truly superior.
Place the vegetables in a gallon ziplock bag and pour the marinade on top. Shake it together and place in the fridge for at least one hour. You can let it marinate for several hours or all day if you want to. If you want to freeze it, you can do it at this point. It’s great to do ahead to prepare for company, and perfect for a trip to the beach.
After it marinates, pour it into a greased or foil-lined baking dish. Roast at 400° for 20-30 minutes, or until the sausage is lightly browned.
While the sausage and peppers are roasting in the oven, you can cook the orzo. Orzo is a rice-shaped pasta, and I love to use it in soups, salads, and main dishes. It’s a fun alternative for rice in many recipes. This orzo is made from white flour, but you can also use a whole grain version. I use 8 ounces, or half a box for this recipe.
After cooking, drain and place on a platter or in individual bowls.
Spoon the sausage and peppers over it.
Another option is to skip the orzo and make sandwiches. Very tasty.
Oven Roasted Sausage and Peppers
- 2 lb smoked sausage sliced
- 1/2 - 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1/ 2- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces uncooked orzo
- Place sausage, peppers, and onion into a gallon ziplock bag.
- Combine vinegar, mustard, and rosemary.
- Add to bag and seal. Shake to mix together.
- Place in refrigerator for at least an hour, or up 8 hours.
- Roast in oven at 400 for 20-25 minutes, or until sausage is golden brown.
- Serve over orzo.
- In a large saucepan, bring 3 quarts of lightly salted water to boil.
- Add 8 ounces orzo.
- Boil for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.