Decadently Chocolate Cheesecake
This Decadently Chocolate Cheesecake is a showstopper. I’ve made it many times over the years and it never disappoints. It is deeply chocolate with a creamy, silky texture. It can be topped with meringue or whipped cream and is a beautiful finish to any meal.
This recipe is very easy to prepare. I baked this one in a 9″ springform pan, but I actually prefer to bake it in an 8″ inch springform pan because it gives it more height. I am very partial to Ghirardelli chocolate, and that is the brand I always use.
I love making a meringue topping so I can create peaks and then brown them with my torch. 🔥🧯
Whipped Cream is also a topping option. I always make it homemade, but you could use Cool Whip to save time. I recommend whipped cream over meringue if the humidity is high. I learned that the hard way.
I got this torch at Williams Sonoma many moons ago. You can get their newer model here. Amazon has a huge selection of them as well, and this one costs much less.
I love having a reason to use my kitchen torch, creme brûlée being one. Get one. They’re fun.
See how pretty it is to lightly brown it? It truly takes it to a new level.
I have served this lovely and indulgent cheesecake year round, but it is an especially beautiful dessert to serve around the holidays.
Need more chocolate dessert recipes? Try my Flourless Chocolate Cake.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker or shortbread cookie crumbs
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup butter
- 4 oz semisweet baking chocolate (I recommend Ghirardelli)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels (I recommend Ghirardelli)
- 2- 8 oz packages cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup cream of coconut (can substitute with sweetened condensed milk)
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp vanilla
Graham Cracker Crust
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter and press into the bottom of an 8 or 9" springform pan. Place aluminum foil around the bottom outside of the pan to prevent the butter from leaking into your oven.
- Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and reduce oven temp to 300°
- Heat butter and chocolate together in microwave at 30 second intervals until melted. Stir until smooth and allow to cool slightly.
- Beat softened cream cheese until smooth.
- Add sugar and beat well. Add eggs, one at a time, until blended.
- Stir in cooled chocolate and cream of coconut. Beat until well blended.
- Pour over crust and bake at 300° for 40-50 minutes, or until just barely set.
- Cover and chill for 8 hours.
- Remove sides of springform pan and top with meringue or whipped cream.
- In a heatproof bowl, whisk together egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar.
- Place over simmering water and whisk continuously until sugar and cream of tartar are dissolved, about 4 minutes.
- Pour into bowl of a stand mixer and add vanilla.
- Beat on high for about 5 minutes until glossy and stiff peaks form.