Christmas Confetti Chicken Soup with Buttery Croutons is perfect to serve anytime, but particularly during the holidays. The spinach and red bell pepper give it a Christmasy look and it has a rich creamy base.
I found this recipe years ago in a Better Homes and Gardens magazine and posted it on my old blog, Uncommon Artistic Endeavors in December 2012. The original recipe called for nutmeg, but I was out of it and I substituted curry powder. I’m actually glad I was out of nutmeg because I liked the curry so much better. I listed both options in the recipe.
The red pepper is sautéed in butter until tender. Then flour is added and stirred for about a minute. Whisk in the chicken broth and stir until it is thickened and bubbly. .
Add the spinach, chicken and curry powder. Allow to simmer for a few minutes and then add the half and half. (I took this photo before I added the half and half).
The croutons are very easy. Make cutouts on white loaf bread with cookie cutters. I like to use the small ones, but you can also use regular size cookie cutters. Make lots of these because they are really good and will be gobbled up by your guests.
Brush with melted butter and bake at 350° for 5-10 minutes or until lightly browned. As you can see, I made a few from larger cutters as well. They are less like croutons and more like festive toast.
Top the soup with the croutons and serve!
You could easily do your crouton cutouts ahead of time and store them in an airtight container. Then brush the butter on and bake them before serving.
It is perfect to serve for company.
Another good soup to make during this cozy season is Slow Cooked Sweet and Sour Bean Soup.
Christmas Confetti Chicken Soup
- small cookie cutters
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 -2 1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 10 oz pkg frozen spinach, thawed and lightly squeezed
- 1/2 tsp curry powder (or you can substitute nutmeg)
- 1 cup half and half
- salt to taste
- 1 loaf white loaf bread
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large saucepan, saute pepper in 1/4 cup butter until tender.
- Stir in flour. Cook and stir one minute.
- Stir in broth.
- Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly.
- Add the chicken, spinach, and curry powder. Simmer on low for about 5 minutes.Stir in the half and half.
- Heat through. Serve with croutons.
Cookie Cutter Croutons
- Make cutouts on the bread with cookie cutters.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Bake at 350° for 5-10 minutes, or until light golden brown.